Thursday, April 19, 2018

Throwback Thursday

Once upon a time, decades and decades ago, I was a law student living in Waco, Texas.

A picture from the yearbook.
I was a good student, but I had poor social skills, and I often was innocent about what was going on all around me. For instance, I had no idea that there was a religious community just outside town that would someday be the victim of a Federally orchestrated massacre.

I was interested in constitutional law and the provision in the Texas Constitution against taking from one and granting another.

https://hubpages.com/politics/Taking-from-One-and-Granting-Another-Substantive-Due-Process-in-Marital-Property

Eventually, I would write a novel partly inspired by the vibes I got in Waco, Texas, without knowing how real the story I was inventing would turn out to be.


Today is the 25th anniversary of the massacre. Flags are at half mast in all Federal buildings. But it is not to mourn the fallen at Mt. Carmel. It's just a coincidence. It means nothing.

Some of the flyers I disseminated while in grad school at Rice

2 comments:

  1. What happened in Waco was not right. Thanks for sharing the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155022665637823&set=a.10151167935222823.442184.742607822&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete