Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Time I almost Ran for Congress

A long, long time ago -- Saturday, April 22, 1989 at 5:30 pm -- in a place very far away -- Holiday Inn -Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas-- I almost ran for Congress. The problem: I didn't know how to raise a thousand dollars to pay for the filing fee. So we had a fundraiser. Here is what happened there. People you will see in this video, besides me: Jimmy Morgan, Janet Kollmeier, Jack and Jacqui Estes. Piano accompaniment is by Pat Brown. I never raised the thousand dollars I needed to file, and that is why I never ran. But almost running is something I will never forget. The district I was almost running for was the 24th Congressional District in Texas. The incumbent was Martin Frost. People at the Grand Prairie Memorial Library would not let me post anything about this on their bulletin board, even though they always posted flyers by Martin Frost. At the time, there was no world wide web, and nobody I knew had a cell phone. If you want to see what I was like when I started writing Vacuum County, this is a good place to start. Here is a link to Vacuum County. Buy it. Read it. https://www.amazon.com/Vacuum-County-... Yes, I was always a libertarian. But I was pretending to be a Republican. Also, notice the accent! I never really had a Texas accent, but I was trying to blend in. And don't ask about the gigantic glasses -- that was what people wore back then.





No comments:

Post a Comment